UPH Communication Science holds a Talent Show to train Students’ Public Speaking Skills.

Whether you naturally like speaking in public or not, you will need public speaking skills in the professional world. One day, you will most likely find yourself in a situation where you have to speak to a great number of people, and you better pull it off. This is why Universitas Pelita Harapan (UPH) included a Public Speaking course in their Communication Sciences department. One of the most exciting events organized to help students able to communicate in public is the Talent Show held on May 3, 2019, at D’makan Sutera Stage, Supermal Karawaci.
In the Talent Show, UPH Communication Science students flaunted their communication skills through dance groups, fashion shows, vocal groups, drama, and many other events.
Carly Scheffer Sumampouw, S.Sos., M.Com., an UPH Communication Science lecturer and a judge in the Talent Show, explained that public speaking comes in not just one shape and size. “Public speaking means communicating a message, and communication does not only occur in formal wording or speeches. Communication can as effectively happen through vocal groups, fashion shows, bands, and many other outlets. When preparing for the performance, people should discuss content, costumes, etc, and in these discussions, communication also occurs all the time.” Carly explained.
Another lecturer/judge, Agustin Diana Wardaningsih, S.E., M.I.Kom, emphasized that the talent show is a place where students can exhibit their talents. It is also a place where public speaking can be done in a more fun setting.
“Every person is unique, and they have different talents. They may need to have an outlet to show those talents off. They need the outlet to believe that the talents are for God. So, why not try to give them the room they need? They need to believe that everything God gave them is worth cultivating,” Agustin explained.
In life, we will always need to communicate. We should be able to deliver messages effectively to different people in the public. The Public Speaking course can help students master this skill, not only in the traditional sense but also through different creative outlets. (pl)
——
Testimonials
——
Regina Novia
Public Relations – 2018
“I love speaking in public, but sometimes I get nervous. In this class, I was forced to speak in front of the public, and this has helped me overcome my fear. It’s anxiety and anticipation at the same time – but at the end of the day, I enjoyed this class a lot.
Samuel Aditya Darmawan
Integrated Marketing Communication – 2018
“I learned to build my confidence in this class. We were taught how to talk in public without getting nervous, and I’m sure this will be useful in situations I will face in life.”